Skip to main content

Upwork Price Increase Takes Effect: No More Free Connects!

I just got this on my email:

----------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------
It's what the Upwork community has been anticipating. This new price scheme was announced months ago, and now it's gonna be in full effect.

I'm currently registered under the Freelancer Plus plan, so the message may appear slightly different from those under the Basic plan. But the effect is the same: NO MORE FREE CONNECTS!

I've already read about a lot of negative comments in forums and Facebook groups concerning this, but what's the real score and what's the real effect on us freelancers?

Here's are some observations from me:

- For newcomers, this is really gonna be a pain in the a**. They're starting to learn and to earn, having come across a popular platform where freelancers with skills can find jobs and pose bids for free, so how are they supposed to cope with this new scheme? Gone are the days when you can earn on Upwork stating with $0...

- For those who are already members for months to a few years, and yet are still struggling to get a client or are earning just a few bucks: This is also gonna be a big setback, because their little earnings might be gone sooner once they pay to bid and don't get hired.

- For seasoned members, the "veterans": I think this wouldn't have a big effect to them, except for the fact that it's gonna be an additional cost for them to reckon with.

... and here's my take for those observations:

- for newcomers and existing members with low earning: If you haven't earn anything or just starting, you have 2 options depending on how serious you are on working in Upwork: 1) Set a Billing Method wherein you can purchase connects tru Debit/Credit card or Paypal; 2) If you think this is something you don't want to risk, there are many other platforms to try, most of which are still free.

- for season members: not much of an issue, you can just add the cost your hourly rate or add to an existing rate. Many clients don't mind paying more for quality work, plus they rather pay more to work with someone whose already familiar with their system.

This new pricing scheme will definitely impact many members/workers on Upwork. Expect a number to depart and be gone to look for other platforms. But I guess that's what Upwork eventually want to achieve: which is to maintain a platform where only workers with real skills will bid and work with clients. I don't see any negative impact on clients at the moment, it may actually benefit them more because there would be less bids placed, and therefore more convenient to choose. One probable effect that I can see is that clients won't be posting low cost projects because given the high cost of connects, workers won't be bidding on it.

At any rate, it's a wait and see situation for every freelancer working on Upwork...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This file is dangerous so Chrome has blocked it - FIXED!

One of my daily routines as an online freelancer was downloading and uploading files. Clients would send me files that may either contain instructions or actual data to be worked on.  One day I was stopped by this mysterious message: It was displayed at the lower left corner of my Chrome browser and it happened as I was downloading a file. The crazy thing is that I was downloading a Word doc file, not an application that may indeed come with a sinister malware hidden in it. Ok, so a Word doc file may have a macro that's actually disguised as a virus. But this is not the case, because this file was from a message thread on my Upwork account that's already posted months ago, and it so happened that I can't find that copy on my laptop so I decided to just download it again. And unlike other scenarios wherein you would have the option to download it anyway at your own risk, this one wouldn't let you download it, so you're stucked! A quick Google search reveals t...

Working at home: A short Intro

So you heard from a friend that he's earning money while staying at home, and you think that's kinda cool and you want to do the same thing. Or maybe you're getting tired working in the office and having to face heavy traffic congestions every day, and thus getting home late and tired, while your neighbor spends more time at home and yet manages to earns a decent income. Nowadays working at home is a very popular venture. Before we go further, I need to explain what it is, just to avoid confusion.... Work-at-Home, home-based jobs, home-based workers, work from home: All of these mean 1 thing: you do the work without having to go to an office. However, there are 3 key aspects here: - Employee aspect: Also known as Telecommuting, telework, mobile work, remote work. This type of work allows an employee to do his daily job at home. The employer/company still pays him in the form of salary. - Freelancer aspect: In this scenario, the worker is not employed, but instead se...

Upwork Account Registration Tweaks and Cheats

I'm a member of many Facebook groups that focus on online jobs and online freelance workers. I once came across a post in an unofficial Upwork group that there are easy and sure ways to get an account registration approved. There are even people who are offering their services to get another account approved instantly, for some fee. There's even a Youtube video demonstrating how exactly an Upwork account registration can be tweaked and get it approved. To these ideas, I would strongly advise NOT TO FOLLOW. I studied the steps done in the Youtube video, and theoretically, it may actually work. There's a long list of comments wherein the majority claims the technique work. Let me explain why it may work. In my previous post, I mentioned the importance of having the right skills to be indicated when registering for an account in Upwork. So the technique that the Youtube video showed was to simply change and edit the skillset into showing those advance and highly in-demand...